Do journal studies support using cognitive therapy for RA pain management?

In 2002, a study was published in the highly respected medical journal, Pain, on this issue. The researchers evaluated 53 patients with rheumatoid arthritis. They all received the standard medical treatment; half of them additionally received cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Six months afterwards, the CBT group showed improvements in mood while the other group showed worsening depressive symptoms. The CBT group also showed a decrease in C-reactive protein, a general measure of inflammation in the body. The CBT group scored significantly better than the other group in terms of joint involvement. This suggests that CBT can improve both psychological and physical functioning in people with rheumatoid arthritis.

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Treatment

Rheumatoid Arthritis Tests and Exams
Rheumatoid Arthritis Tests and Exams
It's important to understand which tests you need and what the results mean for your condition. Ask your doctor these questions about exams and tests ...
How do medications treat rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
Medications for rheumatoid arthritis are used to alleviate pain, reduce swelling, and in some cases,...
Can exercise slow down joint destruction with RA?
Joanne Duncan-Carnesciali, CPT,NASM Elite TrainerJoanne Duncan-Carnesciali, CPT,NASM Elite Trainer
According to the the Third Edition of ACSM's Exercise Management for Persons with Chronic Disease an...
How Can I Tell If My Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment Is Working?