How do respiratory allergies affect the body?

Respiratory allergies occur when the immune system has a negative reaction to a particular airborne substance, like pollen, that's breathed in. Even though these substances are not really a danger to the body, antibodies in the immune system identify the allergen as a threat. This causes cells to release histamines, which cause inflammation in the area of the reaction. Most commonly, the areas affected by respiratory allergies include the skin, eyes, and airways.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Allergies

Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Katy Perry (106,000,000+) and Justin Beiber (104,000,000) have the most Twitter fans, more even than President Obama. But when a recent site-cleaning ...
Can respiratory allergies be prevented?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
The most effective way to prevent respiratory allergies is to limit your exposure to allergens. Depe...
How can I prevent a pet allergy in my child?
Dr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MDDr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine said that infants raised in homes with two ...
What common pets can cause allergic reactions?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Birds, gerbils, mice, guinea pigs, rats, bunnies and horses can all cause allergic reactions in peop...