How can I avoid pollen?

To reduce your exposure to pollen:

• Keep windows in your house and car closed.

• During allergy seasons, limit outdoor activities on windy days and when pollen counts are high.

• Keep lawns short (no more than 2 inches high) to minimize flowering. Make sure your yard is free of weeds such as pigweed and ragweed.

• Use central air conditioning -- or at least a room air conditioner -- to stay cool indoors. If you can’t get rid of your swamp cooler, a HEPA filter may help reduce pollen.
  • Keep windows closed and use an air conditioner in your home and car.
  • Pollen counts are highest between 5am-10am so limit outdoor activities at this time.
  • Do not hang laundry outside to dry.
  • Shower after spending time outdoors as pollen can remain on your clothes and in your hair.
  • Use a high-efficiency particulate accumulator (HEPA) air purifier or a HEPA filter for your air conditioner.

Continue Learning about Respiratory Allergies

Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Clean Your Fan to Prevent Allergies
Katy Perry (106,000,000+) and Justin Beiber (104,000,000) have the most Twitter fans, more even than President Obama. But when a recent site-cleaning ...
How can I prevent a pet allergy in my child?
Dr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MDDr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine said that infants raised in homes with two ...
How can I protect my child from an allergic reaction to pollen?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
To protect your child from an allergic reaction to pollen you can attempt to avoid the allergen. For...
How are respiratory allergies diagnosed?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
In order to diagnose respiratory allergies, a doctor will need to examine you and have you describe ...