What are some good relaxation techniques?

There are manyways to relax or meditate, but they all are intended to help you relax and feel more centered in the moment in your body.  Learn and practice relaxation techniques such as guided imagery, progressive muscle relaxation, and meditation.

Training your body and mind to relax takes practice. But once you do it, you will be able to create the same relaxed state whenever and wherever you want. Here are a few techniques to get you started:

• One of the easiest methods is called the relaxation response. To try it you should sit comfortably, close your eyes, and repeat a single word of phrase over and over in your head or aloud. As other thoughts intrude, just tell yourself that you will think about them later.

• Some people meditate by concentrating on a peaceful image or sound. Think of a place you love and try to transport yourself there in your mind.

• Prayer is a common form of meditation. For some people, it is the best way to clear your mind and feel soothed.

Although most people meditate while sitting or lying still, some people find it easier to combine meditation with movement such as walking, fishing, or knitting.
The idea of meditation is to try to focus in the moment, on a single phrase or image. This may take some practice. At first, you will most likely find yourself thinking about other things while you are trying to meditate. It may take practice to relax and calm your mind.
Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Relaxation can be achieved through a wide range of techniques, including:
  • Deep, diaphragmatic breathing
  • Visual imagery
  • Progressive muscle relaxation
  • Cue-controlled relaxation
  • Yoga
  • Prayer or meditation
  • Listening to calming or pleasant music
  • Petting a cat or dog
The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit: Manage Your Symptoms and Take Control of Your Life

The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit tells readers what they need to know to take control of fibromyalgia symptoms. It includes step-by-step instructions for using effective non-drug treatments,...

Continue Learning about Relaxation Therapy

How do I cause the relaxation response during exercise?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
The relaxation response can be elicited during repetitive exercise, such as walking, jogging or swim...
How should I do progressive muscle relaxation?
You can practice progressive muscle relaxation in any quiet space. Sit or lie down (on your back or ...
Deep Breathe to Lower Your Blood Pressure in Just 30 Seconds
How Should I Do Progressive Muscle Relaxation?