What is cue-controlled relaxation?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Cue-controlled relaxation is a combination of deep breathing and repetition of the word "relax."
  • While you can perform this activity seated, many find that it is easier to do while lying flat on your back on the floor.
  • Begin this exercise with a slow, deep, abdominal breath.
  • Place your hand over your abdomen to make sure that it is moving in and out with each breath. After breathing in, hold your breath for 5-10 seconds, and then breathe out, slowly repeating the word "relax." Repeat.
  • After you are comfortable with this method, you should be able to close your eyes and take a deep breath as above before dealing with stressful situations, such as a doctor's visit, a meeting with the boss, or a discussion with your spouse. This will relax your system and reduce the effect of stressful situations on your pain-provoking mechanisms and headaches.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Relaxation Therapy

How do I do progressive muscle relaxation?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Many women with chronic pain have experienced relief with progressive muscle relaxation, as they...
Do relaxing activities cause the relaxation response?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Being relaxed and eliciting the relaxation response are not the same unless being relaxed includes b...
What Are the Benefits of Progressive Muscular Relaxation (PMR)?
How Should I Do Progressive Muscle Relaxation?