What is sibling rivalry?

Sibling rivalry, a completely normal behavior, is the bickering that occurs between children who are vying for their parents' love and attention.

Parents should refrain from intervening in sibling arguments, unless there is a threat of physical harm, Kidshealth.org recommends. This will force children to deal with their squabbles on their own, and will minimize the potential for parents to side with one child over another.

Parents can help keep the peace by spending one-on-one time with each child and regularly reminding them that there are no limits to parental love.

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

How to Improve Your Partner’s Health Habits
Grant Woods’ American Gothic portrays an aging farm couple who look a lot alike, despite her bun and his overalls. If you and your spouse also look mo...
How can I improve a relationship?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Well, I do not think a long, in-depth self-therapy session is practical with every interaction, but ...
Is Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is Complicated
Is Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is Complicated
Tying the knot can have its health benefits—but it depends on the quality of your relationship.
How Can My Romantic Relationship Affect My Health?