How do I know if an open relationship is right for me?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed
In general, polyamory can work given a great deal of commitment, time, skill, trust and communication. Many people lack adequate quantities of those commodities and thus the complexities inherent in open relationships (contrasted with the complexities inherent in relatively closed relationships) become sticky, uncool, and sometimes no-win situations.

Signs that polyamory might be especially hard for you: you incline toward an anxious attachment style; you don’t believe it’s possible to have sex with someone outside a committed dyad and still be “committed”; you don’t believe it’s possible to love more than one person at a time; you struggle with conflict in relationships, tending to capitulate or compromise on the truth rather than say something that might hurt your partner; you or your partner rarely succeed in staying calm while feeling criticized; you or your partner feel that the other person must be responsible for your own emotional pain; you or your partner resort to name-calling, force, or other forms of contempt/disrespect during conflict.

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

Science of Attraction: Why Some People Seem Irresistible
It’s the mysterious spark that inspires pop songs and moves armies. You might even have experienced it yourself—that instant physical chemistry that c...
Can being too demanding hamper my relationship with my partner?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Something that absolutely does not work in relationships is being too demanding. You may or may not ...
7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health
7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health7 Ways a Strong Relationship Can Boost Your Health
Whether it’s a romantic partner, close friend, family member or a good neighbor, the benefits of a bestie are profound.
How Can I Feel More Comfortable With My Body During Sex?