How do I know if an open relationship is right for me?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed
In general, polyamory can work given a great deal of commitment, time, skill, trust and communication. Many people lack adequate quantities of those commodities and thus the complexities inherent in open relationships (contrasted with the complexities inherent in relatively closed relationships) become sticky, uncool, and sometimes no-win situations.

Signs that polyamory might be especially hard for you: you incline toward an anxious attachment style; you don’t believe it’s possible to have sex with someone outside a committed dyad and still be “committed”; you don’t believe it’s possible to love more than one person at a time; you struggle with conflict in relationships, tending to capitulate or compromise on the truth rather than say something that might hurt your partner; you or your partner rarely succeed in staying calm while feeling criticized; you or your partner feel that the other person must be responsible for your own emotional pain; you or your partner resort to name-calling, force, or other forms of contempt/disrespect during conflict.

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

How Can I Feel More Comfortable With My Body During Sex?
How Do I Influence the Health of Other People in My Social Network?
How Can I Boost My Libido?
How Can I Boost My Libido?
How Do We Manage Privacy Issues When It Comes To Sharing Health Data?