What is the definition of a good relationship?

Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
Marriage & Family Therapy Specialist

A good relationship is one that is mutually dependent or interdependent. A good reason to depend on each other is survival. Do the two of you ensure absolute safety and security on a continuing basis? Is the relationship secure functioning? In other words, is it fully collaborative, cooperative, fair, just and sensitive? We know now from long running studies that the secret to happiness and longevity is secure functioning relationships.

Irwin Isaacs
Psychology Specialist

A good relationship is built on a solid foundation of friendship.  It is one of true partnership in every way.  There are no specific male or female roles.  Finances are shared, and plans of every kind are made jointly. 

If this doesn't describe your current relationship you should seek help from a relationship therapist.

Lisa Oz
Health Education Specialist

Since the nature of our interactions with others pretty much determines the quality of our experience, it would seem to be in our best interest to make these relationships as good as possible. Of course, good is a relative term. Some of you might interpret this to mean that you should only hang out with the super pious.

To others, it could mean having friends who are loads of fun. However, that is not what I am talking about. I am sure you have people in your life who are naughty, or boring, or both. I certainly would not want you to cut them off. (Well, maybe just the boring ones.) What I mean by a good relationship is one that you approach consciously; where the participants behave in a manner congruent with their values. This type of relationship is based on kindness and compassion and is mutually beneficial and satisfying.

Incidentally, this is what we strive for, not only with our soul mate or favorite aunt, but also with our chief competition at work and the quasi-sadistic meter maid who writes up a ticket while you are searching the bottom of your purse for a quarter. Ideally, you should approach every encounter with a sense of presence and awareness. Note I said "ideally." Of course, it does not happen all the time (it certainly does not with me), but it is not an unreasonable goal, and is nothing new.

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

Reach Out and Touch Someone: It’s Good For You
The school of hard knocks can make us tough on the outside but more fragile on the inside. We convince ourselves that a tough exterior will protect us...
How can eating breakfast together help strengthen relationships?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Breakfast is the first chance for loved ones to gather each day. As difficult as it may seem, si...
Is Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is Complicated
Is Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is Complicated
Tying the knot can have its health benefits—but it depends on the quality of your relationship.
How Have Social Networks Impacted Your Health?