Why is connecting with others important?

Here is my Deadly Habit number 6:

Disconnecting

So many of us pull away from the people who support us at exactly the times we need them most -- when we're going through a divorce, facing a financial crisis, feeling bad about our bodies. Adding the stress of bottled up emotions to already challenging times only leads to health problems down the road.

Replacement: Connecting

Human beings provide a social web that holds us all up. So call your mother, get back in touch with a college friend, make a plan to have coffee with an old work pal, send a thank-you note to your high school teacher. If you surround yourself with support, you can weather the bad times with less stress and add years to your life.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

Healing from Heartbreak
Healing from Heartbreak
When Gary (Vince Vaughn) and Brooke (Jennifer Aniston) watched their live-in relationship decay in The Breakup, they got it half right: Each one spent...
How can I add fun to my relationship?
Dr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyDDr. Stan Tatkin, MFT, PsyD
Firstly, are YOU fun? If you’re not, then why not? If you are a fun person but your partner is not, ...
Is Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is Complicated
Is Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is Complicated
Tying the knot can have its health benefits—but it depends on the quality of your relationship.
What Do You Remember the Most About Your World Travels?