What does a ranula look like?

A ranula is swollen mass beneath the tongue that is often blue in color. The name ranula comes from the Latin rana, which means "frog-like" or "appearing like a frog." That is because ranula have a blue tinge and are bulging and may look like a frog's underbelly. They may also have a translucent appearance and tend to have a smooth surface.

Continue Learning about Ranula Of The Tongue

What is a plunging ranula?
A ranula is a mucous cyst found on the floor of the mouth. For a plunging ranula, the cyst extends b...
What increases my risk for a ranula?
Mouth surgery may increase the risk for getting a ranula. Some ranulas form spontaneously, but other...
Should I talk to my doctor about my ranula symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you have a ranula (mouth cyst) you should speak to your doctor. While ranulas are usually painles...
How do I manage my ranula on a daily basis?
The best way to manage a ranula is to see a doctor. Ranulas can grow large enough to impair chewing,...