What are possible sexual side effects of radiation treatment for cancer?

Jan L. Shifren, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
Radiation treatment for prostate cancer can damage the nerves and vessels that serve the penis. It may also affect testosterone levels, leading to low libido and erection difficulties. Men who've had this therapy may have problems getting or keeping an erection. Women who have had radiation to the pelvic area can develop scar tissue in the lining of the vagina that can cause pain during intercourse. Side effects of radiation treatment -- such as fatigue, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea -- are also deterrents to sexual activity.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What is on-board imaging (OBI) for radiation therapy?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
On-board imaging (OBI) refers to the use of daily x-rays (taken right on the linear accelerator) tha...
What are the risks of having external beam radiation therapy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The list below shows side effects that can happen soon after external beam radiation therapy begins....
What is CyberKnife treatment for lung cancer?
Daniel A. Nader, DODaniel A. Nader, DO
Stereotactic body radiosurgery is a very precise way to use high-dose radiation therapy to a limited...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?