How do doctors shape radiation therapy based on a tumor's shape and size?

Tania B. Kaprealian, MD
Radiation Oncology
A multileaf collimator is used to shape the beams of radiation to the individual tumors. The multileaf collimator is in the head of the radiation machine, and they are like fingerlike projections which can move throughout the treatment to shape to the tumor. In that way, the dose is delivered precisely while sparing normal structures in the brain. 

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

How does systemic radiation therapy work?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
Systemic radiation therapy is used to treat cancer. With this type of therapy, the person with cance...
What is a radiation oncology nurse?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
A radiation oncology nurse works in collaboration with the radiation oncologist and the radiation te...
Are there side effects to radiation?
William K. Oh, MDWilliam K. Oh, MD
Sexual dysfunction in prostate cancer treatment can occur with external beam radiation or seed impla...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?