How is a person's head held in place during gamma knife surgery?

Isaac Yang, MD
Neurosurgery
Gamma knife surgery is a particular brand of radiosurgery that can be used to treat acoustic neuromas. During gamma surgery, doctors need to put a gamma knife Leksell frame onto the person’s head. This is done by screwing four screws into the person’s skull to hold the frame in place. The doctor will numb those areas.

In linear accelerator-based radiosurgery, screws are not put into a person’s skull. Instead, doctors use a thermal plastic mask, essentially a plastic mask that is fitted exactly to the person’s face, and this holds the person's head steady.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

When is CyberKnife therapy preferable over traditional radiation therapy?
Afshin Rashtian, MDAfshin Rashtian, MD
Not every situation will call for CyberKnife therapy, but it can treat various disorders. Watch Afsh...
How can I cope with the side effects of radiation treatment?
Lori K. Gillespie, MDLori K. Gillespie, MD
One of the most common complaints during radiation treatment is a loss of energy or fatigue. Try...
How does systemic radiation therapy work?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
Systemic radiation therapy is used to treat cancer. With this type of therapy, the person with cance...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?