How do medications treat rabies?

Once rabies symptoms start, there is no treatment, and the disease is almost always fatal. However, you can stop rabies before it kills if you seek medical help as soon as you suspect you've been exposed. You will immediately get a shot of rabies immune globulin, which pumps rabies antibodies into your body to start fighting the virus. You will also get several shots of rabies vaccine, which will encourage your body to produce its own antibodies for long-term protection.

Continue Learning about Rabies

How is rabies treated?
You must get rabies treatment very soon after you are exposed, before deadly symptoms appear. If you...
How can I tell if an animal has rabies?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Animals with rabies may act strangely. For example, those that are usually active at night may b...
Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have been exposed to rabies?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
If you think you've been exposed to rabies, you should seek medical attention immediately, and call ...
How is rabies spread?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
Rabies is spread through a mammal's saliva, via a bite or scratch by an infected animal. Watch publi...