How can I care for someone who has been exposed to rabies?

If you suspect someone has been exposed to rabies-usually through an animal bite-get them medical help quickly. Rabies is almost always fatal unless treated before symptoms appear, anywhere from 10 days to more than a year after exposure. The patient may need several shots over the course of four weeks, and it's important to make sure they don't skip shots or change the dosing schedule. Patients undergoing rabies treatment won't develop rabies, and they aren't contagious, so don't be afraid to interact with them.

Continue Learning about Rabies

How common is rabies?
Rabies kills two or three people each year in the United States. These people usually don't know tha...
How is rabies spread?
An exposure to rabies most commonly occurs when a person is bitten by a rabid animal. It can also be...
How do other illnesses affect rabies?
No matter what other illnesses you have, you should get the rabies vaccine if you have been exposed ...
Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have been exposed to rabies?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
If you think you've been exposed to rabies, you should seek medical attention immediately, and call ...