Does rabies affect children differently than adults?

Children are more likely to die from rabies than adults are. Children are bitten by dogs more often, and they are more likely to suffer several bites, which can increase rabies exposure. Quick treatment can save a child's life. In the United States, no one who has gotten prompt treatment with the rabies vaccine after a bite has died from rabies.

Continue Learning about Rabies

Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have been exposed to rabies?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
If you think you've been exposed to rabies, you should seek medical attention immediately, and call ...
What should I do if I might have been exposed to rabies from a bat?
While bites are a common way for diseases to be spread from bats to humans, exposure to saliva and o...
How common is rabies?
Rabies kills two or three people each year in the United States. These people usually don't know tha...
How do other illnesses affect rabies?
No matter what other illnesses you have, you should get the rabies vaccine if you have been exposed ...