Why are cigarettes harmful?

Frank T. Leone, MD
Pulmonary Disease

There are over 4,000 chemicals in just one cigarette:

• 400 are known to be toxic
  • 40 are known to cause cancer

These chemicals include arsenic, cyanide and formaldehyde. Some of the chemicals found in cigarettes are the same ingredients found in insecticides, toilet-bowl cleaners, mothballs and nail polish remover.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Need Stop-Smoking Help? Try Pumping Iron
Ready to put down that cigarette? Start by lifting weights or str-e-e-tching resistance bands and you'll double your odds of kicking the habit for goo...
What are some good questions to ask my doctor if I smoke?
Samantha ReidSamantha Reid
You should ask your doctor about the different nicotine replacement therapies that are available. Yo...
Shocking Smoking Facts That Will Make You Want to Quit Today
Shocking Smoking Facts That Will Make You Want to Quit TodayShocking Smoking Facts That Will Make You Want to Quit TodayShocking Smoking Facts That Will Make You Want to Quit TodayShocking Smoking Facts That Will Make You Want to Quit Today
Smoking not only causes cancer and heart and lung disease, but it’s associated with stress, reproductive problems and more.
Is Raising a Social Consciousness About Diet the Soulution for Healthy Eating?