What is nicotine?

Nicotine is an addictive chemical found in tobacco. Nicotine increases levels of the neurotransmitter dopamine, that is part of the brain's reward system. It also produces lasting changes in the cells of the brain that are associated with addiction.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Is there a Spectrum of smoking to prevent the risk of heart disease?
Cigarette smoking is one the leading causes of heart disease, and quitting decreases your risk of th...
Why do smokers continue to smoke when they know it is not good for them?
As is the case with other guilty pleasures, many smokers continue the habit, knowing that it is a po...
How many people in the United States smoke?
About 20.7% of the population over the age of 16 smoke.  In America, that means about 50 million peo...
How Can I Have a Heart-Healthy Lifestyle?