How can women avoid weight gain after they quit smoking?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
About half of female smokers say they are afraid they will gain weight if they stop smoking. Although the usual advice is to exercise or count calories while kicking the habit, this might be impractical because both are emotionally draining tasks, and concentrating on dieting could mean that the effort to stop smoking will fail. A preliminary study suggests that it might be more productive to help women learn to accept any weight gain as a reasonable trade-off for the improved health that comes from kicking the habit. If you're worried about weight gain, you can always give yourself a break while you're quitting and then go on a diet after you've successfully stopped smoking.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Do You Know What's Smoking in That Cigarette?
When Adele wanted to quit smoking she went to a celebrity hypnotist in London who charged her around $700 for a three-hour session—that worked! But fo...
How can I make my workplace smoke-free?
If it's your work environment where you are affected by secondhand smoke, it will probably be re...
5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings
5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings5 Ways to Overcome Cigarette Cravings
Quitting is hard, but not impossible.
Why Hasn't Preventative Care Gained Traction?