What are the different types of prostate cancer?

Dr. Robert E. Reiter, MD
Urologist

There is generally only one major type of prostate cancer, called adenocarcinoma, that arises from the prostate glands. Other types of cancer can arise from different cells and structures of the prostate, but this is rare.

The prostate is a walnut-sized organ that surrounds the urethra; it produces a fluid that becomes part of semen. More than 99 percent of prostate cancers develop in the gland cells. This type of prostate cancer is called adenocarcinoma.

More rarely, prostate cancer originates in other tissues of the prostate, which is called a sarcoma.

Continue Learning about Prostate Cancer

Fat and Cancer Cells: Lose it or They Use It
Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretsky: Imagine them descending on your goal . . . and you’ve never played hockey before. Well, if you’re obese and get...
What are the benefits of improved imaging for prostate cancer screening?
Dr. Grygori A. Gerasymchuk, MDDr. Grygori A. Gerasymchuk, MD
Improved imaging for prostate cancer screening provides a number of benefits. With improved imaging,...
What is the role of the HPC1 gene in prostate cancer?
The genetic defects involved in the development of prostate cancer are only beginning to be understo...
How Do I Protect Myself from Prostate Cancer, but Avoid Unneeded Treatment?