What is a typical daily kindergarten routine?

Lynne Kenney
Daily classroom Pre-K to kindergarten routines typically include:

Circle or group time: Children sit together and the coach initiates a conversation about topics such as the weather, the calendar, the seasons, a field trip, or an upcoming holiday. Sometimes she leads a discussion about a special theme or group project. The children learn concepts of time and space and gain new vocabulary words.

Free choice: Children choose from a variety of different activities available in the classroom: block building, puzzles, dress-up, water or sand play, drawing, or painting. They initiate their own play, either alone or with other children. They learn how to work independently, take turns, share, and play cooperatively with others.

Group activity: During this time, children may learn a song or dance. They may participate in making up a story, preparing a meal, planning a village, or working on a science or art project. They practice new skills, develop fine motor control, learn how to communicate their ideas and needs effectively, and how to work together as a team.

Snack: As they eat, preschoolers learn social and practical skills: how to set the table, to pass the juice and crackers, to carry on a conversation.

Outdoor play: Climbing, running, jumping, bouncing balls, and crawling through tunnels helps children develop large muscle control, motor coordination, and balance.

Clean-up: As they clear the table or put away the blocks, children learn how to plan, organize, and work with others.

Story time: Children gather together in a comfortable corner of the room to listen as the coach tells a story or reads from a book. They look at the illustrations and discuss them. The teacher asks questions about the story, helping children to learn to predict what will happen next. She encourages them to think about the characters and plot and to use new vocabulary from the story.

Continue Learning about Preschool Age Child Development

How can I make reading fun for my child?
Here are some ways to make reading fun: Chat it up. Talk about the story.Mix it up. Have your child ...
How can I teach my child good manners?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are a few solutions to enhance good social graces in your children and give them that edge for ...
What to Expect from Your Kindergartener
What to Expect from Your Kindergartener
What Your Baby's Body Language Is Telling You