How does a lung transplant affect my sensitivity to the sun?

Transplant recipients run the added risk for developing skin and lip cancers, and this risk increases over time. Prednisone makes your skin more sensitive to the sun, so you will burn easier, faster, and to a greater degree than you did before the transplant. Prolonged and repeated exposure to the sun's ultraviolet radiation produces permanent and damaging skin changes. The darker your skin, the more natural protection you have against burning and skin damage. But bear in mind that you can now burn even if you are black because your medications make you more sensitive to the sun.

Continue Learning about Post Lung Transplant Procedure

Why can't I drink alcohol after a lung transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Alcohol is metabolized (broken down) by the liver and causes damage that can lead to liver failu...
What happens after a lung transplant operation?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
If both the donor lung(s) and recipient are cleared for surgery, the patient is put under general an...
What can I expect immediately after my lung transplant?
Immediately after surgery, lung transplant patients recover for two to four days in the Cardiothorac...
How do doctors monitor for rejection of a transplanted lung?
Rejection can frequently be silent and without symptoms, and detected only by lung function testing....