Is pleural effusion serious?

While pleural effusions may resolve without treatment, in some cases it can be serious. As a large enough volume of fluid builds up in the pleural space, it can reduce the ability of the lung to expand. This can cause difficulty in breathing as well as severe chest pain. Additionally, this could also affect the heart and its ability to circulate sufficient blood around the body.

Continue Learning about Pleural Effusion

What is an exudative effusion?
An exudative effusion is one of two types of pleural effusions. In this type of effusion, the blood ...
What causes pleural effusion?
A pleural effusion can be caused by medical conditions such as heart failure, pneumonia, cancer, and...
What are the symptoms of pleural effusion?
Pleural effusion, a pleural cavity disorder, happens when too much fluid infiltrates the pleural cav...
Should I talk to my doctor about my pleural effusion symptoms?
To determine the underlying cause of your symptoms, it is very important to talk to your doctor. Sin...