Are there alternative treatments for pleural effusions?

Currently there are no alternative therapies for pleural effusions. They often resolve without treatment. Otherwise, therapy involves treatment of the underlying cause. This can include medication, but can also involve interventions such as the insertion of a needle or tube into the chest to help drain the fluid.

Continue Learning about Pleural Effusion

What is the rate of incidence for pleural effusion?
Pleural effusion is a fairly common condition seen by doctors. It is estimated to occur in as high a...
What are the symptoms of pleural effusion?
Pleural effusion, a pleural cavity disorder, happens when too much fluid infiltrates the pleural cav...
What causes pleural effusion?
A pleural effusion can be caused by medical conditions such as heart failure, pneumonia, cancer, and...
Should I talk to my doctor about my pleural effusion symptoms?
To determine the underlying cause of your symptoms, it is very important to talk to your doctor. Sin...