What can I do to improve my placental function?

There aren't a whole lot of products out there that really tout their placental benefits so you may be unaware that there are indeed things that you can do to improve placental function. Above all, you want to maintain good arterial health yourself by avoiding exposing yourself to toxic substances, you won't risk transmitting them through the placenta to your baby.

Just follow the basics. Several things have been shown to contribute to optimal placental function. Not surprisingly, they're also good for a healthy pregnancy in many other ways, too. They are:

1. Don't diet during pregnancy
  2. Get your extra calories with extra protein
  3. Exercise wisely
  4. Don't smoke
  5. Avoid exposure to high altitudes
  6. Avoid exposure to potentially toxic chemicals like pesticides
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Placenta & Fetal Development

What hormones does the placenta make or secrete?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
The placenta makes or secretes a number of hormones. Two of the most important hormones are progeste...
How does the placenta form?
The general rule about organ development is that all of your organs are formed in utero and that's t...
What is fetal programming?
Fetal programming refers to changes in gene expression that affect the growth and functioning of the...
What can I eat to encourage proper fetal development?
Your child wants nutrients rather than calories, so concentrate on eating foods that don't come with...