How do phobias affect the body?

The affect phobias have on the body are somewhat similar to those experienced when real life and death threats are present. The fear and anxiety experienced in relationship to a phobia can cause increased heart rate, difficulty breathing, tightness in the chest, fainting, and an inability to think clearly. Although phobias are characterized by an irrational, intense, and disproportionate fear response, it can trigger very real physical symptoms.

Continue Learning about Phobias

How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
How to Overcome Your Fear of Air Travel
As Erica Jong, author of the 1973 feminist novel Fear of Flying, wrote, way down deep almost everyone has a fear of letting go. But air travel is incr...
What do I need to know about caring for someone who has a phobia?
If you are caring for someone you feel may have a phobia, it will be important to help them get an o...
How do other illnesses affect phobias?
If you have intense phobias you could be more likely to use alcohol and drugs to numb or dissipate s...
How will my phobia affect my children?
Your own phobias may make it more likely that your children will suffer from phobias of their own. A...