How can my pet give me a disease?

Pets have bad habits just like people do, and these habits can make owners ill. In this video, I will discuss the health dangers of getting too close to your pet.
Susan Evans
Dermatology
One of the most common ways of getting a zoonotic disease is from not taking extra caution when handling your pet’s excretion. A lot of the bacteria live in an animal’s urine or stool, so make sure you do not come in direct contact with it by thoroughly washing hands. This can minimize your chances of getting a disease from your pet.

This is one of the reasons women are encouraged to let other people clean the litter box while pregnant. A very serious and dangerous disease called toxoplasmosis is easily transmitted from the litter box to a pregnant woman, posing a serious health risk to her unborn child. Cats can also be responsible for causing Cat Scratch Fever, which can cause high fevers and swollen lymph nodes. This disease can be transmitted through a cat’s scratch because of the bacteria on the cat’s claws from walking around in the litter box.

Continue Learning about Health Benefits of Pet Ownership

What to Do When Cats Attack
What to Do When Cats Attack
In the 1992 film Batman Returns, after being tossed off a building by evildoer Max Shreck (Christopher Walken), Selena Kyle (Michelle Pfeiffer) is bit...
What should I do if my pet wants to sleep in my bed?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
If your pet wants to sleep in your bed, keep these things in mind: Everyone has a different tole...
11 Winter Pet Health Hazards to Avoid
11 Winter Pet Health Hazards to Avoid11 Winter Pet Health Hazards to Avoid11 Winter Pet Health Hazards to Avoid11 Winter Pet Health Hazards to Avoid
Antifreeze, candles and other common cold-weather must-haves may be putting your furry friends at risk.
Pets Are Good for Kids' Health
Pets Are Good for Kids' Health