What are people with Enneagram type four personalities like?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Fours don't blend, they stand out. And they stand out with flair. They're the ones wearing the crushed velvet paisley jacket or the purple mohawk adorned with a single gardenia. Fours make an art of being different. They have a very defined sense of style and a unique approach to the aesthetic. Everything they do has a creative bent or a dramatic turn.

Their elevated form of expression isn't merely superficial. Fours are highly sensitive and emotionally self-aware. They're deeply introspective and intuitive. The realm of the unconscious, full of mysticism and symbol, has a particular draw for Fours. Death intrigues them.

It's hard for Fours to live fully in the present. There's always a pervasive sense of longing with them-a nostalgic desire for something that never quite was but should have been. Fours need beauty and significance, and they can see it in places the rest of us would never notice-in the symmetry of a row of trash bins or the irony and poignancy of a beggar on Fifth Avenue. Fours make great poets, actors, and painters. The rest of us can do it, but we don't have the art embedded in our souls.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
How can I define my values?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Your behavior is the outside representation of what you value. If you wonder about what you valu...
How can I use my strengths more effectively?
Ronald SiegelRonald Siegel
Pick one of your strengths and use it in a new way every day for a week. Think of ways to use th...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?