What should I do after a scaling and root planing treatment?

After a scaling and root planing treatment, you may have tooth sensitivity and gum tenderness. Because the root planing goes deep into the gums, it is normal to expect some irritation, inflammation, and pain. Your dentist will recommend a mouth rinse and/or analgesic pain reliever that may help ease the sensitivity. Your dentist may also recommend that you wait a few days to begin flossing your teeth again.
Sanda M. Moldovan, DDS
Periodontics
During scaling and root planing, the gums are inflamed and tender, as part of the internal celular lining was also removed during this process. The tenderness may last from 1 to 4 days. During this time, gently keep the gums clean, avoid crunchy foods and seeds and do not use any harsh mouth rinses. For a more natural choice, I recommend rinsing with aloe vera juice found at natural food or drug stores. You may require over-the-counter pain medication on rare occasions, on the day after the procedure.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Should I talk to my doctor about my periodontitis symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
Does chronic periodontitis cause heart disease?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
Many studies have looked at the link between periodontitis and heart disease. While there is not eno...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile