Should I talk to my doctor about my necrotizing periodontitis symptoms?

Necrotizing periodontitis is a serious gum disease that progresses very rapidly, leading to tooth and bone loss in the mouth. Foul breath, a foul taste in the mouth, loose teeth, gum erosion, dead tissue that looks gray or black, and pockets of infection are symptoms that indicate the presence of this disease of the gums. Prompt treatment can help limit damage by preserving as much bone and as many teeth as possible.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Does chronic periodontitis cause heart disease?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
Many studies have looked at the link between periodontitis and heart disease. While there is not eno...
Can gums recede in a healthy mouth?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
Yes. If one has a misaligned bite, trauma from the bite can injure the teeth and the surrounding tis...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile