Is necrotizing periodontitis serious?

Necrotizing periodontitis is a severe gum infection that rapidly destroys teeth, jawbone, and connective tissue supporting the teeth. It responds well to treatment, but left untreated, it can spread within the mouth and cause further damage. Prompt medical treatment can minimize the destruction of the teeth, gums, and jawbone.

Necrotizing (ulcerative) periodontitis is a serious gum disease that involves the breakdown of gum tissue that surrounds and attaches to the teeth. Necrosis or death of the gum tissue occurs as a result of plaque buildup from poor oral hygiene and is marked by painful and bloody gums and, if left untreated, can cause eventual tooth loss.

Also known as trench mouth, necrotizing peridontitis is a progression of a milder gum disease called gingivitis. Researchers believe that people under extreme stress may have a higher risk for the disease.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
How do I manage my periodontitis on a daily basis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
Is periodontitis serious?
Steven M. Vanscoyoc, DDSSteven M. Vanscoyoc, DDS
Yes -- Periodontal disease can lead to tooth loss and has also been associated with an increased ris...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile