Does cigarette smoking increase the risk of gum recession?

Cigarette smoking increases your risk of developing gum disease. Studies reveal that cigarette smoking is one of the major factors in the development and progression of periodontal disease. Also, when smokers undergo oral procedures, their healing process can be slowed down by the chemicals in tobacco.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Should I talk to my doctor about my periodontitis symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
Is periodontitis serious?
Steven M. Vanscoyoc, DDSSteven M. Vanscoyoc, DDS
Yes -- Periodontal disease can lead to tooth loss and has also been associated with an increased ris...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile