Can aggressive periodontitis be prevented?

Although lifestyle choices, such as good oral hygiene and healthy diet, can help to control aggressive periodontitis, genetic factors cannot be controlled. An association between specific chromosomes and predisposition for aggressive periodontitis indicates that some individuals are genetically more susceptible to the condition. It is important, therefore, to schedule regular dental checkups to detect the condition before it progresses. If symptoms of periodontitis develop, early diagnosis and treatment may improve prognosis considerably.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Should I talk to my doctor about my periodontitis symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
Is periodontitis serious?
Steven M. Vanscoyoc, DDSSteven M. Vanscoyoc, DDS
Yes -- Periodontal disease can lead to tooth loss and has also been associated with an increased ris...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile