How is periodontal disease related to edentulism?

Periodontal disease is one of the main causes of edentulism. Periodontal disease is a condition that affects the mouth and is commonly found in the elderly. Periodontal disease can eat away at your teeth and gums causing decay. If periodontal disease does enough damage to a tooth, the tooth will either fall out, or require removal by a dentist. This results in edentulism. Careful treatment of periodontal disease can help you to avoid edentulism.

Continue Learning about Periodontal Diseases

Severe Gum Disease May Lead to Impotence
A fresh, healthy mouth plays well in your favor each time you lean in for a kiss. And it may have a surprising benefit in the bedroom: helping prevent...
How can I afford to treat my gum problems if I have no insurance?
Todd A. Welch, DMDTodd A. Welch, DMD
It depends on the periodontist that you see. Many periodontists offer in-office or other forms of fi...
What are the two key work areas of periodontics?
Hyun J. Song, DDSHyun J. Song, DDS
The two key work areas of periodonitics are: Reconstructive (including gum grafts, i...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?