What is it when I have bleeding upon probing in my mouth?

Dentists and periodontists may use bleeding as an indicator of periodontal disease. If your gums bleed within 10 seconds of being touched with a probe it is a sign that your gums are inflamed. it could be a sign of inflamed, swollen, or infected gums that are more delicate than they would be if they were healthy.

Continue Learning about Periodontal Diseases

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Can mouth jewelry or piercings lead to periodontal disease?
Steven BradwaySteven Bradway
Oral jewelry and piercing can lead to tooth loss by damaging gum tissue and bone around teeth, but i...
What is trench mouth?
Trench mouth is a painful form of gum disease, caused by too much bacteria in the mouth. It causes t...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?