What is it when I have bleeding upon probing in my mouth?

Dentists and periodontists may use bleeding as an indicator of periodontal disease. If your gums bleed within 10 seconds of being touched with a probe it is a sign that your gums are inflamed. it could be a sign of inflamed, swollen, or infected gums that are more delicate than they would be if they were healthy.

Continue Learning about Periodontal Diseases

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
How do I know if I have gum disease?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
You may not know if you have gum disease without an exam and xrays by a dentist. Gum disease can be ...
What are the stages of gum disease?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
Gum disease is an infection caused by the bacteria in the plaque. In the first stage, gingivitis, on...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?