Can gums that have receded grow back?

When your gums recede or pull away from your tooth because of gum disease, they usually will not grow back naturally. When you have bacteria in the plaque around your teeth (gingivitis), this can lead to inflammation of the gums that causes your gums to recede. If untreated, this condition can lead to more advanced inflammation that can cause your gums to pull away so much that spaces or pockets are formed.

If your gums are only mildly receded, your dentist may be able to treat your gums by a deep cleaning, also called tooth scaling and root planing. In this cleaning, tartar and plaque that have built up below the gum line is removed and the exposed root area is smoothed. If the pockets remain deep and inflamed after this treatment, surgery may be the only solution to put the gums back into place, securely around the tooth.

Continue Learning about Periodontal Diseases

Severe Gum Disease May Lead to Impotence
A fresh, healthy mouth plays well in your favor each time you lean in for a kiss. And it may have a surprising benefit in the bedroom: helping prevent...
When should I call my doctor if I have gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you suspect you have gum disease, schedule a dental appointment right away. Gum disease is an inf...
How does smoking cause gum disease?
Dr. Sanda M. Moldovan, DDSDr. Sanda M. Moldovan, DDS
Studies show that smoking increases the risk of gum disease by 5 to 7 times, as compared to non-smok...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?