Can gums that have receded grow back?

When your gums recede or pull away from your tooth because of gum disease, they usually will not grow back naturally. When you have bacteria in the plaque around your teeth (gingivitis), this can lead to inflammation of the gums that causes your gums to recede. If untreated, this condition can lead to more advanced inflammation that can cause your gums to pull away so much that spaces or pockets are formed.

If your gums are only mildly receded, your dentist may be able to treat your gums by a deep cleaning, also called tooth scaling and root planing. In this cleaning, tartar and plaque that have built up below the gum line is removed and the exposed root area is smoothed. If the pockets remain deep and inflamed after this treatment, surgery may be the only solution to put the gums back into place, securely around the tooth.

Continue Learning about Periodontal Diseases

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
How can I afford to treat my gum problems if I have no insurance?
Todd A. Welch, DMDTodd A. Welch, DMD
It depends on the periodontist that you see. Many periodontists offer in-office or other forms of fi...
What is gum disease with diabetes?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
There is no conclusive research showing that gum disease raises the risk for diabetes or other syste...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?