What are the symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)?

Symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) can vary. PID may have severe or mild symptoms, and sometimes there are no symptoms. Common symptoms are lower abdominal or pelvic pain, fever, vaginal discharge and pain or bleeding with intercourse.  
Howard S. Smith
Pain Medicine
Symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) may be mild and easily dismissed as an intestinal bug. Or, the symptoms may be severe enough to require hospitalization. The most common signs and symptoms include: abdominal/pelvic discomfort, painful urination, pain during intercourse, abnormal bleeding, vaginal discharge with an unpleasant odor, fever and chills, and odorous discharge. If you have symptoms of PID, see your doctor.
Shelley C. Giebel, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) can frequently start as pain that doubles you over.  Pain in the lower abdomen can be sharp and stabbing.  Intercourse can be painful and not tolerated.  Fever and vaginal discharge can occur, but are not essential for the diagnosis of PID.  It is very important to seek medical care if you think you have PID.
Symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) may be mild, or there may be no symptoms. This is especially true for PID that's caused by chlamydia. If pelvic inflammatory disease does cause symptoms, they may include abdominal or pelvic pain, vaginal discharge, or abnormal menstrual bleeding. As the infection progresses, pain more become more severe, and it may lead to other symptoms like fever, nausea, and vomiting. If you notice any of these symptoms, it's important to see your doctor.

Continue Learning about Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)

What should I know if my partner has pelvic inflammatory disease?
If your partner has pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), it's important to support them and take care ...
How do IUDs affect pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)?
It's a common misconception that the use of an intrauterine device (IUD) increases the risk of devel...
Is pelvic inflammatory disease serious?
Shelley C. Giebel, MDShelley C. Giebel, MD
Yes, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) is a serious medical condition.  If left untreated, PID can c...
Can I get pelvic inflammatory disease again even if I've already had it?
Having pelvic inflammatory disease once doesn't protect you from getting infected again. In fact, yo...