What should I know if my partner has pelvic inflammatory disease?

If your partner has pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), it's important to support them and take care of your own health, too. Once your partner finds out they have PID, it's important for them to start treatment right away. You should also be tested and treated if necessary. You and your partner should avoid having sex until treatment is complete and the infection is gone. If your partner has had PID for a long time without knowing it and then is diagnosed, it's important to be emotionally supportive. PID may lead to infertility, so talk with your partner about their feelings.

Continue Learning about Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)

Is pelvic inflammatory disease contagious?
Pelvic inflammatory disease itself is not necessarily contagious, but many of the bacteria that caus...
Is pelvic inflammatory disease painful?
Shelley C. Giebel, MDShelley C. Giebel, MD
Often pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is painful.  Patients will complain of pain with intercourse...
What is the rate of incidence of pelvic inflammatory disease?
In 2014 approximately 51,000  women ages 15-44 in the United States went to the doctor for pelvic in...
Is there a cure for pelvic inflammatory disease?
The treatment options for pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) are antibiotics. In severe cases you may...