Can I get pelvic inflammatory disease again even if I've already had it?

Having pelvic inflammatory disease once doesn't protect you from getting infected again. In fact, you're more likely to develop PID if you've already had it before. Even if you've been treated for the infection, you may become re-infected, especially if your sex partner does not receive treatment at the same time. To reduce your risk of getting PID again, avoid having sex until you and your partner have completed treatment, and practice safe sex by using a condom and limiting your number of sex partners.

Continue Learning about Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)

What is the rate of incidence of pelvic inflammatory disease?
In 2014 approximately 51,000  women ages 15-44 in the United States went to the doctor for pelvic in...
How does pelvic inflammatory disease affect the body?
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) starts when bacteria enter the female reproductive organs, usually...
Is pelvic inflammatory disease painful?
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) can be painful in some cases. Some of the first symptoms of PID ma...
What are the symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)?
Symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) can vary. PID may have severe or mild symptoms, and so...