When should I start taking medication for Parkinson’s disease?

Nader Pouratian, MD
Neurosurgery
We start medications only when function is impaired, and there’s a different threshold for every patient. Depending on how old you are, we’ll start different medications for different people because of the differential effects. The most important thing is that carbidopa/levodopa, even though it’s the central medication that is used, actually after several years can start causing complications with therapy. Dyskinesias, the dystonias, the wearing off of the medications, are complications. The more we can delay the start of that therapy, the better off people are and the more they can push off deep brain stimulation surgery.

Continue Learning about Parkinson's Disease Treatment

Will I need surgery to treat my Parkinson's disease?
For most with Parkinson's disease, surgery is a last resort. Treatment usually begins with a medicat...
What does surgery for deep brain stimulation (DBS) involve?
Dr. Brian H. Kopell, MDDr. Brian H. Kopell, MD
During deep brain stimulation, (DBS) leads are implanted during three separate and staged surgeries....
What Is Music Therapy's Impact on Parkinson's Patients?
Are There Any New Treatments for Parkinson's Disease that Excite You?