Why should I set limits for my children?

Lynne Kenney
There are many purposes for setting limits, such as:

1. to define expected behavior clearly
2. to keep children safe
3. to assist children in socialization and friendship behaviors
4. to secure parent-child cooperation without conflicts and power struggles
5. to teach rules in the clearest and most understandable way
6. to stop misbehavior with natural and logical consequences
7. to teach children to solve problems on their own
8. to teach independence, accountability and responsibility in one’s behavior

Limits help your children define what traits they wish to take on as their own, and which traits they will leave to others.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Spank, Slap or Hit Your Kids? Your Parenting Style Could Cause Them Problems Later On
Physical punishment—punishment that involves spanking, slapping, hitting or pulling, also known as corporal punishment—is one way parents discipline t...
What can I do to stop my child's obsession to be super-thin?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
It’s hard to stop your child’s obsession to be super-thin since for some reason our culture just lov...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Meet Coco Austin’s Baby Girl, Chanel
Meet Coco Austin’s Baby Girl, Chanel