What can I say to someone to change their negative behavior?

It is generally not appropriate to ask someone to change their feelings about something since their feelings are their own. However, in communication it is frequently important to ask someone for positive and specific behavior changes.

Several key elements of good communication are listening, using empathy and giving feedback. Following the giving of feedback, it is important to ask in a positive way for the person to change their behavior, and state what the consequences will be for getting your request met. You can use the sentence stems, “If you [behavior change], then [consequences of behavior].”

For example, if a family member forgets to pick up medicine, asking for positive change may go something like:

“If you pick up my medicine on time, I won’t run out and get painful spasms.”

Or “If you pick up my medicine when I need it, I would really appreciate it.”

So, putting the examples together:
“I know you have a lot on your mind, but when you forget to pick up my medicine, I get painful spasms and get upset. If you would pick up my medicine when I ask you to, I won’t get as many spasms and I would really appreciate it.”

Continue Learning about Parenting

The Dangers of the Powdered Margarita
The Dangers of the Powdered Margarita
Weird ways to consume alcohol have been popping up on social media and YouTube -- and are enough to make any college counselor or parent’s heart skip ...
How can I teach my daughter to focus less on her appearance?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Recent studies show that too many of our kids -- especially girls -- base their self-esteem on h...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Bethenny Frankel Talks About the Importance of Finding Balance