What information should I give my child’s camp director?

Before your child heads off to camp, think about all of the things that the camp director and counselors doesn’t yet know about your child. In order to keep your child safe and maximize his camp experience, the camp staff should know the things found in the following list:

• Child’s name and birth date
  • Any health limitations your child might have, such as asthma or epilepsy
  • Any physical or emotional limitations that could affect your child’s camp experience
  • Any sleep issues that the counselor should be made aware of, such as bedwetting or nightmares
  • Injuries your child has had that might impede performance
  • Any allergies your child has
  • Any dietary restrictions your child has
  • Child’s doctors’ names and contact information
  • Emergency contact information of parents and another responsible adult, in case parents can’t be reached
  • Insurance provider and policy number
  • Preferred hospital in case of emergency
  • Written authorization to administer medication to your child at school, adequate supplies of medications, and their dosing schedule

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Talking To Your Kids About Drugs and Alcohol
Shocking fact of the week: More than 24.6 million people in the United States are addicted to drugs and/or alcohol. That’s about 1 in every 10 America...
How can I relax to reduce the stress of caring for my baby?
Lyn TurtonLyn Turton
Being a new mom means you are very busy but taking time to look after yourself will benefit both you...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
What Is My Role In My Child's Development?