What should I do if my child chooses bad friends?

Michele Borba
If you're worried about the kids your child is hanging around, you'd not alone. "Bad friends" is a concern of many parents. Here is a simple behavior makeover if you think your child is choosing bad friends.

1. Don't be so quick to blame the "bad friends." Your kid is the one who chose them. Instead ask yourself why is your child choosing this companion? That answer will give you perspective.
   2. Keep an open house so you can get to know this friend. That way you can find out if your concerns are really legitimate.
   3. The best way to limit time spent with a potential bad friend is to find other social avenues for your child.
   4. The number one time our kids get in trouble is 3-6 o'clock in the afternoon. Monitor your kid a bit closer during those times.
   5. So when do you step in? My rule is if hanging around this kid could damage your child's character, reputation or health, it's time.

Whatever you try remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Healthy Snacks for Kids Mean Healthy-Hearted Adults
Sweet tangerines and juicy cherries. Crunchy carrots and crisp snow peas. Pack them in kids' lunches, put a bowlful on the kitchen counter, keep them ...
How do I choose quality child care?
Many moms go back to work after having a baby and rely on child care for their children. Relatives o...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How Can I Discuss Difficult Topics with My Child?