What should I do if my child chooses bad friends?

Michele Borba
If you're worried about the kids your child is hanging around, you'd not alone. "Bad friends" is a concern of many parents. Here is a simple behavior makeover if you think your child is choosing bad friends.

1. Don't be so quick to blame the "bad friends." Your kid is the one who chose them. Instead ask yourself why is your child choosing this companion? That answer will give you perspective.
   2. Keep an open house so you can get to know this friend. That way you can find out if your concerns are really legitimate.
   3. The best way to limit time spent with a potential bad friend is to find other social avenues for your child.
   4. The number one time our kids get in trouble is 3-6 o'clock in the afternoon. Monitor your kid a bit closer during those times.
   5. So when do you step in? My rule is if hanging around this kid could damage your child's character, reputation or health, it's time.

Whatever you try remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Distracted Parenting
Distracted Parenting
With 1.4 billion smartphones floating around, it’s clear techno-intensity is making people drop out of conversations, relationships, and their own liv...
What should I look for in a baby stroller?
Picking your kid's first set of wheels isn't as nerve-wracking as handing over the keys in 16 or 17 ...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Dr. Oz Reveals Tomika’s Car Makeover
Dr. Oz Reveals Tomika’s Car Makeover