What is the best way to stop my child's back talk?

Michele Borba

Here is a behavior makeover to squelch one of the most annoying kid behaviors: back talk.

First, catch it early before it becomes a habit.

Second, once you decide to squelch it, be consistent and don't back down.

The very next time your child talks sassy, call him on it: "Telling me to chill is unacceptable. You may not talk that way."

Or "That was rude. Please use a respectful tone."

And then respectfully refuse to continue your conversation until your child talks respectfully. When kids recognize we are not going to give in, they are much more likely to stop talking back. So don't let your child know sassiness works.

You can find more behavior makeover tips in the book, No More Misbehavin' Whatever you try remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.

The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Parenting

Keep Out! Five Foods to Ban from Your Kid's Lunch Box
More and more parents are reverting to packing lunches until school cafeterias clean up their junk-food acts -- but here's the catch: It's easy to sab...
How should I punish my child for cursing?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
If you've been clear with your expectations about cursing, yet it still continues, it's time to ...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - Should I let my child watch the news after a tragedy?