Do violent video games lead to bad behavior in kids?

Armin Brott
Pediatrics

It is pretty hard to establish a solid link between video games and the tendency to engage in violence in the real world. Many of the studies on this topic are deeply flawed. But one recent study is well-designed, compelling, and above all, reassuring.

The researchers studied children in their real-world settings and family context. And they discovered that the link between violence in video games and violent or antisocial behaviors is blown way out of proportion. What’s more, they found that many children can and do use video games—even those with some level of violence—to reinforce certain social skills, release stress, and relax. Bottom line? There’s no need to panic.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Safe Weight Loss for Teens—How to Help Kids Lose Pounds and Inches
Q: My daughter is 13 and weighs 238 pounds. She started packing on the pounds at age 9. I am at a loss as to how to help her. -- Beverly via e-mail A...
When should I start teaching my child about money management?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
The truth is we can begin to teach our children money management skills as early as three and fo...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How Susan Lucci Juggled Work and Supporting Her Family