How can I teach my child the meaning of kindness?

Michele Borba
One of the most important steps in teaching kindness is making sure kids know what kindness means, and it’s a step too often overlooked. So take time to define the virtue.

You might say, “Kindness means you are concerned about other people. Kind people think about another person’s feelings and just their own, they help someone who is in need, and they are kind even when others are not. Kind people never expect anything in return. They just treat other people kindly because they want to help make someone’s life better. Kindness makes the world a nicer place, because it makes people happier. And it’s a virtue I want you to always use.”

Consider making and hanging up poster that lists or depicts kind deeds your family can do for one another. It will serve as a constant reminder of simple ways to make the world a little better.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Help, My Kid Won't Stop Crying! How to Solve Temper Tantrums Now
If you have children, you’re probably all too familiar with temper tantrums: the crying, the kicking, the screaming. (Oh, my!) These emotional outburs...
How can I tell if my child is affected by a tragedy in the news?
Elizabeth U. Ucheoma-Cofield, MDElizabeth U. Ucheoma-Cofield, MD
If you start seeing regression, no matter the age level of the child, you should emphasize safety an...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
How to Protect Your Kids From the Dark Web