question

How can I teach my child the meaning of kindness?

Michele Borba
Michele Borba
answer
One of the most important steps in teaching kindness is making sure kids know what kindness means, and it’s a step too often overlooked. So take time to define the virtue.

You might say, “Kindness means you are concerned about other people. Kind people think about another person’s feelings and just their own, they help someone who is in need, and they are kind even when others are not. Kind people never expect anything in return. They just treat other people kindly because they want to help make someone’s life better. Kindness makes the world a nicer place, because it makes people happier. And it’s a virtue I want you to always use.”

Consider making and hanging up poster that lists or depicts kind deeds your family can do for one another. It will serve as a constant reminder of simple ways to make the world a little better.

Continue Learning about Parenting

6 Fast, Healthy Recipes Your Kids Will Love
"Knowing that kids—and parents—need to eat healthy food is one thing. Getting them to do it is another," says pediatrician Jennifer Trachtenberg, MD. ...
Help, My Kid Won't Stop Crying! How to Solve Temper Tantrums Now
If you have children, you’re probably all too familiar with temper tantrums: the crying, the kicking, the screaming. (Oh, my!) These emotional outburs...
How to Be Your Child's Advocate at the Hospital
You can't be a silent bystander at any point in the care of your child. Make sure to speak up if you have questions or concerns. If you're the shy, pa...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc. As infants grow, their poop patterns generally slow down. Some babies may poop many times ...