What are signs that my child is cheating?

Michele Borba

If you want to know if your child is cheating, look for a few signs that might indicate he or she may not be doing a 100% honest effort:

• Ask about the resources. A quick test is see if your child did the work himself (or used the cut and paste model) is to ask about the sources he used. Does he know the source? Did he read the source? Is your child able to give you a quick review of the concept without relying on his paper? If not, it could be using the “cut and paste” study technique.
  • Ask about the test. Ask your child: “What were some of the questions on your test today?” If he doesn’t know, it’s usually a red flag.
  • Read his papers. Is the reading or vocabulary at your child’s level of understanding or could he possibly be relying too much on the Internet for information and not doing the work himself? Ask your child for the definition of a term he’s written. Can he define it?
  • Glance over homework: Is he bringing home no homework or too little? Did he do or borrow his work from a pal?
  • Know your child’s homework, test days and grades. Is he acing tests without studying? Is he really that brilliant?

Continue Learning about Parenting

Top 9 Ways to be an Even Better Parent
Top 9 Ways to be an Even Better Parent
Every child is unique, with unique DNA, unique fingerprints, a unique personality, and a unique path to adulthood. Although you can't smooth all the b...
As a parent, what should I stock in my medicine cabinet for my kids?
When your child is sick or has an accident, the last thing you feel like doing is hopping in the car...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
Why Would Parents Want to Connect with Their Children Through Social Media?