Should I reward my child for doing chores?

The goal is to raise your child to have a sense of accomplishment without needing the reinforcement of praise or reward. It’s fine to have chore charts for young children and stick gold stars on the charts when the chores are finished. But as children get older, it will be up to you to foster a love of accomplishment and sense of pride simply in doing what’s expected and what’s right. Getting this balance of loving your praise and feeling proud of oneself will probably be a continuing challenge as your children grow.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Parenting

8 Lessons I Learned About Parenting in the ER
The emergency room is not a place you go to learn about parenting. Yet, after years of working as an ER doctor, during moments ranging from tragic to ...
Why should I monitor what my children do on the computer?
Donna Barhorst, MDDonna Barhorst, MD
Some of the reasons why you want to know what your children are doing when they're on the comput...
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
The Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They MeanThe Scoop on Baby Poop: 5 Hues and What They Mean
Here’s what’s common, what’s not—and when to call the doc.
What is Family Health 360?
What is Family Health 360?