If I see a parent spanking their child, should I intervene?

Ellen Rome, MD
Pediatrics

If the spanking involves whips and belts, it is worth intervening. For a hand spanking, it is okay to look at the parent and ask, "Are you okay? Can I do something to help?" Sometimes giving the parent a chance to vent and diffuse the tension may be enough to break a cycle. If the parent asks for advice, you can suggest 1-2-3 Magic!, a great book for helping with behavioral problems.

Continue Learning about Parenting

Help, My Kid Won't Stop Crying! How to Solve Temper Tantrums Now
If you have children, you’re probably all too familiar with temper tantrums: the crying, the kicking, the screaming. (Oh, my!) These emotional outburs...
How do I prepare my child to spend the night away from home?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Summer is usually the time when we send our kids to stay at Grandmas, with their friends, or off...
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Embarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t AskEmbarrassing Questions You Wish Your Kids Wouldn’t Ask
Every parent is going to face an embarrassing question they’re not quite ready for. Check out these questions you might hear and smart ways to answer ...
What Factors Can Make It Difficult to Spend Quality Time with My Child?